Saturday 22 September 2012


7/9/12

We left Esperance at about 9.00am and drove through a combination of showers, rain, sun and cloud. We travelled in a convoy of 7 caravans all happy to leave the wet and windy coast far behind. Our first stop was at Salmon Gums where we lost all of our travelling companions. We stopped at a truck stop for a quick lunch before travelling onto Norseman.

In the main street there are corrugated iron statues of camels reminding everyone of the importance of the camel trains in the late 1800's and early 1900’s. Then we went to the Visitor Information Centre and found out the caravan park was charging $38.00 a night. That made up Karen's mind to the fact we were not staying there, so we drove 23 kilometres north to the Mt Thirsty Rest Area. It was a large rest area with plenty of spots for all manner of caravans, fifth wheelers and campers. During the afternoon and early evening we saw 4 trains go past on their way to and from Esperance. The cargo was nickel, we found out later on.

Not long before bedtime Karen asked me to drop some rubbish in the bin. She wanted it deposited in a hurry and said I didn't need a torch as the bin was painted yellow and I should have no trouble seeing it. She was right about the bin, I saw it clearly in the darkness but what I didn't see was the 30cm high jagged cement wall of a fire place. In slow motion I saw the stars disappearing from overhead and the rocky, dusty earth approaching to meet my fear ridden face.

When the dust had settled and I had moved every digit and limb to ensure nothing was broken I leapt to my feet and returned to the caravan. On the short walk back I began to feel wetness in my sock. OH NO!!!!!!!!! I thought I had wet my pants during the fall but, thank God, it was only my left leg bleeding profusely into my sock.

I knocked on the door and, when Karen answered, I told her in my calm, softly spoken voice:”I think I have injured myself.” In her usual kind and thoughtful way Karen said ”You Gumby! What have you done to yourself now?” I showed her my red sock (that was white when I put it on that morning) and my left leg that was flowing like the Amazon River into my sock and shoe. Immediately the call went out: 'MARY-ANNNNNEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!’

My loving sister, for the first time that evening, emerged from her cocoon to brave the cold and find out what the banshee yelling was all about. When reinforcements arrived, Karen sprung into action with Mary-Anne ably assisting. In no time flat the bleeding was stopped and the gaping holes in my leg had been bandaged. In a voice that would make a Regimental Sergeant Major cringe, Karen ordered: “Get into bed NOW, you GUMBY, before you do any more damage to yourself!!!” She didn't even allow me to have another anaesthetic beer or a shower. I was a bit cheesed off about not having another beer though!!

8/9/12

We all awoke on my birthday morning to find sunny skies and the solar panels smiling and charging happily away. We spent the morning cooking roast lamb, stuffing, roast veggies and a chocolate cake with icing. What a feast we had for lunch. After it was all consumed there was little room left for a beer. What a great day!!!
 
 Norseman main street
 
 The camels at Norseman
 
 The Gumby!
 
 Why didn't he take a torch?
 
 Mt Thirsty Rest Area
 
 Michael's Birthday Baked Dinner in the bush
 
The Birthday Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment